Top 10 Winter Plumbing Tips
Based on our extensive experience over past winter emergency callouts here are our top 10 winter tips to help you reduce the risk of a plumbing emergency and avoid or minimise unnecessary damage, expense and distress.
1. Make sure you know where the stop valve is located on the incoming water supply main to your home or premises. Label it and check that it is working i.e. can be turned off and on.
2. Find out where other service valves on pipes to taps, toilets and tanks etc are located? Label them and periodically check that they are working. This may involve visiting your roof space.
3. Find out if you have any drain valves on the household heating and water system. In an emergency these can be employed to empty your water and central heating systems (once the source of heat has been switched off or put out).
4. Ensure that the any water storage systems and exposed pipes are properly insulated, particularly in any unheated areas such as a garage, roof space or attic.
5. Be mindful of weather forecasts – in very cold weather take special care to prevent water pipes becoming frozen. If you have a water storage cistern or tank in the roof space, it’s a good idea to leave the hatch open. Heat from the house will help to keep the cistern and pipes from freezing.
6. Inspect your cold water storage tank regularly and, if it is metal, make sure it is not corroding. Our advise for galvanised tanks is to get it replaced before it becomes a problem. Call in your Plumbing Professional if there is any sign of a problem.
7. Check the condition of flexible hosepipes to plumbed-in domestic appliances at regular intervals.
8. Dripping taps or continuously running overflow pipes are a sure sign that your plumbing system requires maintenance. To avoid them becoming major problems call in the services of your local Plumbing Professional,
9. Have central heating boilers and other heating appliances serviced annually.
10. If you have a condensing boiler, make sure that the condensate pipework is protected against freezing, again if not sure call in your Plumbing Professional
We specialise in general domestic heating and plumbing and providing a dedicated 24/7 hour emergency call-out service, holidays included.
So whether is as simple as new set of taps washers or burst pipe call us on 028 9028 9612 or visit our new website www.belfastplumbingservices.com