Christmas Plumbing Emergency – What to do!
If there is worst time to have a Plumbing Emergency Christmas must top of that list. To help you reduce the risk of a plumbing emergency and avoid or minimise unnecessary damage, expense and distress, here are few helpful tips
1. This has got to be the most important one – Make sure you know where the stop valve is located on the incoming water supply main to your home or premises. Label it and check that it is working i.e. can be turned off and on.
2. Find out where other service valves on pipes to taps, toilets and tanks etc are located? Label them and periodically check that they are working. This may involve visiting your roof space.
3. Find out if you have any drain valves on the household heating and water system. In an emergency these can be employed to empty your water and central heating systems (once the source of heat has been switched off or put out).
4. Be mindful of weather forecasts – in very cold weather take special care to prevent water pipes becoming frozen. If you have a water storage cistern or tank in the roof space, it’s a good idea to leave the hatch open. Heat from the house will help to keep the cistern and pipes from freezing.
5. Inspect your cold water storage tank regularly and if it isa galvanised tank, make sure it is not corroding. Our advise for galvanised tanks is to get it replaced before it becomes a problem. Call in your Plumbing Professional if there is any sign of a problem.
6. Check the condition of flexible hosepipes to plumbed-in domestic appliances at regular intervals.
7. Dripping taps or continuously running overflow pipes are a sure sign that your plumbing system requires maintenance. To avoid them becoming major problems call in the services of your local Plumbing Professional.
8. Have central heating boilers and other heating appliances serviced annually. If you haven’t get it done ASAP. It will also save you money on heating bills
9. If you have a condensing boiler, make sure that the condensate pipework is protected against freezing, again if not sure call in your Plumbing Professional.
10. Always good to check if your plumbing and heating engineer it working over the holiday period. If not get hold of the number of a company that specialises in out of ours and holiday callouts – Here’s one for you 028 9028 7619
Belfast Plumbing Services specialise in general domestic heating and plumbing and providing a dedicated 24/7 hour emergency call-out service, holidays included.
So whether is as simple as new set of taps washers or burst pipe call us on 028 9028 7619 or visit our new website www.belfastplumbingservices.com