Common Plumbing Problems

Common Plumbing Problems and When to Call an Expert

Most people will be able to handle some of the simpler plumbing problems. You can, for example, fix a small leak or change a washer on a tap if need be. While it’s possible to handle the smaller tasks, there are some situations where all you can do is switch off at the mains and then call a professional.

A Clogged Drain

There are times when you can deal with a blocked drain yourself, particularly if the clogging is due to leaves and paper that’s been swept onto the outlet, but anything complicated will need a professional. If your drain is seriously blocked, don’t be tempted to use a shop bought drain cleaner, as this can damage pipes and cause more problems than it solves. If the water in your sink, bath, or toilet is not dispersing, as it should, you can try using a plunger. If the plunger doesn’t do the job, or if you seem to be unclogging sinks and drains on a regular basis, then you may need to find a plumber.

Dripping Tap

A dripping tap can cause all kinds of problems, and if it’s in an en-suite or next to your bedroom, it can keep you awake. A more serious effect of a dripping tap is the amount of water that goes to waste over a period of time. You should be able to fix a dripping tap, and save hundreds of gallons of water, just by changing the washer. If you have delicate taps, or you don’t possess the right kind of tools for dealing with the dripping tap, then it is best to call in a plumber and let them deal with it.

A Constantly Running Toilet

At some point in their lives, most householders will have faced the problem of a constantly running toilet. The water continues to run after you have flushed the toilet when something known as the flapper valve is out of place, or the tube that fills the toilet isn’t working properly. There may be a number of reasons why a toilet is running, and sometimes this is silent and difficult to detect, but if it is continuous, you may need a professional to solve the problem.

Leaking Pipes

If your pipes start to leak, first try and locate where the leak is coming from, then turn off the water at the mains. A very minor leak can sometimes be fixed by lagging the pipe with tape and cloth, but may need further attention in the future. If you have a major leak, then it is generally advisable to call in a professional to deal with it.

If you require a professional plumber in the Belfast area, call today